Friday, March 6, 2009

It smells like Spring !!!!




It looks and feels like Spring has sprung !
The warm temperature slid into London Ontario under the guise of darkness in the night.
The nasty curb snow has disappeared and the arctic ice on top of the pool cover is slowly melting. The nastiest cold winter in over twenty years has hopefully said it's last goodbye. It has left a few days work of cleaning up the branches left behind by our municipal garbage collectors and leaves which I couldn't completely suck up into my handy leaf blower.
I was the lone warrior cleaning up the gutters and leaves the night prior to the big storm in October. I'm happy that I was the crazy lady out at nine p.m. cleaning up her front yard but alas , my back yard suffered.
So it looks and feels like spring but how can you really tell the nasty weather has gone back up to Santa land ? Wiarton Willie proclaimed six more weeks of winter , could the groundhog be wrong ?

It's all in the smell.
When the permafrost starts to thaw,I swear I can smell the ground thawing, complete with every kind of decomposting debris. A strong whiff of decomposing leaves,brush,garbage and dog poop means the Easter Bunny can hop on over to our house.
In the seventies, that particular smell started after March Break , usually the first week of April. In the late 80's ,that particular smell wafted between the buildings at York U , sometime between spring break and the beginning of exams.
I truly believe that a fine combination of harpp and global warming is the cause.
I'm not unhappy in the least and I am going out on a limb to pronounce
that spring has sprung the first week of March ,the nose is never wrong.

No comments: