Monday, September 7, 2009

Badlands

This year I'm enjoying the sweet moments of a statutory holiday.
Labour Day is bittersweet as it's the first long good bye to summer,the last day before the new school year starts and the reminder of why we work.
I'm grateful for my job, it provides shelter and the essentials of life.
It's not an academic challenge, it's merely a contract position but it does challenge me each and every day.I'm happy to have a job at at time when eleven percent of the adult population in my area doesn't have one.
It offers me hope, I landed a job in this economy and in the future I may have the right stuff to offer another company my talent and skills.
Long hours plus commute leaves me exhausted ... I appreciate every minute I have not working.
I had a eureka moment the other day as I was driving to work.
I was listening to Springsteen's "Badlands", probably for the umpteenth time since it was released in the 1970's. It's always been a landmark song but the Boss finally got me.
I finally feel and know the angst.
I know why it's good to be alive and wise enough to know why.
Happy Labour Day !

2 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I do so love the changes in season. I look forward to cat walkies on the lake!

An Unconventional Mummy said...

You know... I thought Cat Walkies must be a Muskoka term until I googled it and discovered it was yours !
Lovely post... but to be honest... who is walking who ? :)