Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Can She bake a cherry pie... maybe but not a fricking cake...

The crew and I decided to go egg free when the man in the basement became a permanent fixture in our lives. Despite the fact that he used to cook everyone else eggs in his previous life(before us) , the mere thought that we could somehow kill him through some weird cross contamination was too much too bear. If you think about it, eggs naturally has hormones and most likely contains antibiotics from the chicken feed. We haven't died from not eating eggs and the man has stayed alive from abstaining from the ovum.
An egg allergy is deadly.
The man in the basement is the type of guy who would be typecast as the absent minded professor if he still acted ( yes , you can see him on the silver screen in a couple of international films that were shot here in the 1980's). If and when we go out to eat, I'm usually quizzing the restaurant staff about the ingredients and how the food is prepared while the man sits there and states , " I'm sure it will be okay". Yes, I turn into Kate, from Jon and Kate plus eight, warning the staff of dire consequences if their verbal assurances go bad.
I hate being a biatch so we usually go out to the usual trusted spots , eschewing the unknown.
The allergy also means , no commercial pies, cakes , anything gooooood .
Birthdays are celebrated with ice cream cakes which are on the whole good but not the same thing.
For Valentines Day, I thought I would experiment and make him an egg free cake from http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/. I read the recipe, mixed the ingredients , and voila, the cake was a flop, it fell. It did taste good with icecream but was not a visual success. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to give it the old school try. I'm going to try the recipe again with a few modifications tomorrow and if that fails , I'll give up baking for life !

No comments: